Friday, February 10, 2006

Flashback Friday Valentine

Will you be my Valentine?

Truthfully there isn't a Valentine day that sticks out in my head as the most special one.

I had a strict love-hate relationship with this holiday growing up.

I loved it because during the school parties, besides the cute little kid cards, parents would send most with kids with some sort of chocolate treat to hand out with those cards. I hated it because of those chocolate treats that most parents would send in. I wanted to eat them so bad but I didn't want to eat them in front of anyone. I was a normal, thin, active kid until I reached the 5th grade. But for some reason I was always afraid to eat in front of my classmates, well, lunch didn't bother me because everyone else was eating and it was ok. But not everyone ate those chocolates right away. I didn't want to look like a pig. I don't know why I had an issue with eating back then. My family certainly didn't have issues with eat.

When I reached the 5th grade I started gaining weight and became the chubby kid. My eating habits had changed and were turning into bad eating habits. My activity level hadn't changed. I would still get out there and run and play at school but at home I would hide in my room and read a book.

The 5th grade was the start of the love-hate relationship with that day. I would hide those chocolates away to eat at home because heaven forbid I eat anything like that in front of my classmates.

I received my first Valentine gift as a junior in high school because I had a boyfriend. It was a teddy bear with card. That bear and card seemed to set the theme for many Valentine days to come.

It wasn't until I met and married Scott that I received something besides a stuffed animal and a card.

Our first V-day together Scott bought me a pair of pin earrings. I really didn't expect anything for our first V-day because it was only 15 days away from our wedding day. But the earrings are beautiful and I was so very shocked to get them.

Our second V-day together landed on a Saturday night and I didn't know it at the time, but was only three days away from delivering Harley. We had decided not to buy each other anything, not even a card, and just go out to dinner and a movie. We went to Applebee's and then saw 50 First Dates. It was a romantic night even though we didn't exchange gifts or go dancing, it was just a regular dinner and movie. But, that was all my pregnant body would allow for.

The third V-day? This is horribly, awful bad but I don't remember what we did last year. I don't think we did much of anything. It must not have upset me though since I just don't remember it.

Ok, maybe it's a toss up between our first and second Valentines days together as the most special one.

This year? We don't have any plans again. Scott has to work until 10:30 that night and we have plans with family tonight and tomorrow night so we can't celebrate it early, at least with just the two of us. I'm still trying to think of something original to get for him. We haven't made a pact not to buy anything so I'll keep looking until I'm happy with something.

I have kept all the cards that the kids have made me. Emma doesn't realize it but one of my night stand drawers is stuffed with the cards that both Ethan and Emma have made for me throughout the years. Those cards will be cherished forever!

Now go on over to Karin's and read her story along with everyone else who writes along about today's Flashback.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Valentines from the kids have to be the most special. I'm looking forward to those homemade kid Valentines. :)

Walker said...

Valentines Day just hates me.
I am in the same boat as I was in last year with the same person.
I am going to start celebrating Boxing Day as a lovers holiday. Shopping is more fun.LOL