Monday, January 06, 2014

Pot and Autism

Ethan, my 18 year old Autistic son, has become so angry, bordering on violence. I feel so lucky that we have made it this far without the violence that many autistic people and families deal with. I have researched ways to help Ethan because meds don't help, change of diet doesn't help (mainly because I can't get Ethan to follow any sort of diet), exercise, quiet time, even allowing him to just do what he wants to do, but that's not good or helpful in any way. Ethan can't control his eating without help from myself and my husband. We hide food and lock it up when we are sleeping or not home. So I've found so many posts and articles about giving marijuana to people with autism. It helps the ones who refuse to eat, it calms down the ones with violence problems. Now with Ethan's eating problems, pot probably wouldn't be the best to give him but I'm ready to lock down the entire kitchen or throw out all of our food if pot will help Ethan calm down and stay calm throughout an entire day. Ethan got so angry at school he tried to strangle a teacher, he was suspended for 3 days while reports were written up, a specialized therapist was called in to the school, and many many many forms were signed by me so that if/when (hopefully won't happen again) it happens again no legal action will be taken because of Ethan's diagnosis. Not sure why it took til his junior year for these forms to be given to me but at least they allowed me to sign them now and not do anything legally. They are willing to work with him and his attitude. Ethan has even hit Scott, raised his fists to me, and gotten a little too close to Harley during one of his rages. Things I've read say that pot will help calm Ethan and every post I've read stated their child doesn't get that stoned look, they just are able to stay calm and life is a little easier, no more fear of rages, things being thrown and broken, or families being afraid and hiding during the rages. I have lots of reading to do and doctors to talk to before I actually do it. If this new semester continues like the last semester ended, I might be trying pot with Ethan sooner than later. Oh Happy New Year to All!

No comments: